a.paige
Yay for cupcakes! So, I really like the idea of a cupcake... it's your own little piece of cake. There's no end piece with too much frosting and you don't have to go through the hassle of actually cutting the cake. Also, I love that it has a wrapper; like it is a little present in and of itself. That said... have you ever had a batch of cupcakes where they all turned out perfectly? I haven't. Some have been great; perfect domes, standing straight, no crevasses on the top. But others, those lazy ones that decided it would be too much effort to rise above the paper or if they do rise they have poor posture, it's those that make cupcakes a hit or miss baking experience. Well enough about that. For my sister's birthday I decided to make her some cupcakes and use poured fondant. The actual making of the poured fondant was pretty easy and after I got the hang of how long to heat it before dipping it went rather quickly. Poured fondant is essentially sugar and light corn syrup. you heat it, let it cool, beat it, let it cool and then heat it again. If you want a really good tutorial click here. I think the project turned out well considering none of my tops were very smooth and the poured fondant is a rather thin layer of glaze... I dipped them a few times to get a more even coat and that seemed to help. I don't know a lot about the properties of sugar or anything, so maybe this is common knowledge but the biggest piece of advice I can give in this is when you are reheating your poured fondant, do not let it boil! You always want it to be opaque. If you boil it, it will not go back. (as far as I could tell at least) So I did the big cupcakes and I made flowers on the top of them, and then I did the mini cupcakes and wrote out the happy birthday message part. I also wrapped a ribbon around them to make them look prettier since I didn't use a decorative paper cup.

0 Responses