a.paige

This summer has just flown by! I can't believe it's already the middle of August! Well, last week I got to put my new mixer to good use making a birthday cake for an 11 year old girl. They were having a tie dye party so naturally the cake should be tie dye as well... right, that was a little scary but fortunately the all mighty internet pulled through again. There were a lot of sites that had instructions on how to make a tie dye or in some cases called a rainbow cake. What I wasn't even thinking about at the time was doing the inside of the cake tie dye... I was trying to figure out what I would do to the outside. Well the cakes I came across on the web were all talking about the inside of the cake so I thought I would give it a try. Here are the basic instructions, and then I'll show the photos!

I used 2 boxes of white cake mix for a two tiered cake.
6 different food colorings
buttercream frosting
and
royal icing for decorating


- Mix up your cake batter as usual and divide evenly into six bowls

- color each bowl with a different color... I used yellow, orange, red, green, blue, and purple (I would suggest using a lot of color or the cake looks a little more neon than traditional tie dye colors... that's what happened with mine.)

- Then pour each bowl into cake pans right on top of each other. DO NOT MIX.

- Bake normally and assemble.

to decorate the outside I used a buttercream frosting and I also used spray food coloring that I found at Michaels. It worked out really well I think. Then I used royal icing to add some details like daisies and dots.

Enjoy!






2 Responses
  1. Heather MacQ Says:

    that is so the coolest cake i have ever seen, and i really mean it! inside and out! and you did a super job stacking the two cakes on top of each other! great job...your teacher is proud :)


  2. a.paige Says:

    THANKS! it was a fun cake even though when I started I had no idea what I was going to do! I can't wait to make some new cakes this fall! I have a few books of ones I would like to try so we should definitely get together to do that!